[csw-maintainers] Duplicate packages in GAR

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Mon Jan 17 08:17:04 CET 2011

Hi

This is one of the first result of uwatch2 testing on full GAR
repository. The very first run detected 1315 distinct package having a
build description. This number is a below the real number since some
package do not have a valid UWATCH configuration or are still using GAR
v1. This means a large number of packages from current are certainly
available, it also means there are many packages in GAR which are not
pushed yet to the catalog.

Lists and web pages will follow soon now the database is populated. BTW
we will have to discuss together what should be on the pages :)

As stated by this email subject, I have detected several duplicated
packages stored under different GAR  svn path. Good news is that there
is only 7 packages out of more than 1315 having a build description.

Here is the list :

PKG_CATALOGNAME     PKG_NAME     PKG_GAR_PATH
evolution_webcal     CSWevolutionexchange     pkg/evolution-exchange/trunk
evolution_webcal     CSWevolutionwebcal     pkg/evolution-webcal/trunk
evolution_webcal_devel     CSWevolutionwebcal-devel
pkg/evolution-webcal/trunk
evolution_webcal_devel     CSWevolutionexchange-devel
pkg/evolution-exchange/trunk
evolution_webcal_doc     CSWevolutionwebcal-doc
pkg/evolution-webcal/trunk
evolution_webcal_doc     CSWevolutionexchange-doc
pkg/evolution-exchange/trunk
libsoup2     CSWlibsoup2     pkg/libsoup/trunk
libsoup2     CSWlibsoup2     pkg/libsoup2/trunk
pm_cryptcbc     CSWpmcryptcbc     pkg/cpan/Crypt-CBC/trunk
pm_cryptcbc     CSWpmcryptcbc     pkg/cpan/Crypt-Random/trunk
pm_unixsyslog     CSWpmunixsyslog     pkg/cpan/Unix-Syslog/trunk
pm_unixsyslog     CSWpmunixsyslog     pkg/cpan/Syslog/trunk
pm_xmllibxmlcom     CSWpmxmllibxmlcom     pkg/cpan/XML-LibXML/trunk
pm_xmllibxmlcom     CSWpmxmllibxmlcom     pkg/cpan/XML-LibXML-Common/trunk

Here is the list of the owners :

evolution_webcal ->  Ken Mays (Retired)
evolution_webcal_devel ->  Not released
evolution_webcal_doc ->  Not released
libsoup2 ->  Roger Hakansson  <http://www.opencsw.org/maintainers/hson>
pm_cryptcbc ->  Dagobert Michelsen
pm_unixsyslog ->  Benny vonMossner  <http://www.opencsw.org/maintainers/benny>
pm_xmllibxmlcom ->  Benny vonMossner  <http://www.opencsw.org/maintainers/benny>

I would like to kinow what is our policy regarding duplicated packages in GAR ?

Should we allow this or not ? It would be much safer to have a single build description for a given package. Of course it is not possible to prevent from this at SVN level. But i can modify newpkgs-% target so it generates a warning if the package already exist in uwatch db, and cron a database test to send warning emails.

cheers
W.

--
William                     http://www.wbonnet.net