[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 17 16:48:33 CET 2011

James Lee <james at opencsw.org> writes:

> On 17/01/11, 14:10:08, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
> Re: [csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw:
>

>> > Also please can someone remove the references to supporting NFS share
>> > of /opt/csw (as we now don't), that is eg:
>> >
>> > http://www.opencsw.org/about/core-principles/
>> > http://www.opencsw.org/use-it/sharing-optcsw/
>> > http://www.opencsw.org/about/faq/
>> >

>> > and probably some others.  Further it would be good to add an additional
>> > note and make an announcement to explain the change in policy.
>
>> I'm begging for a different opinion: we still support sharing /opt/csw
>> through NFS for most of our packages
>
> "most" isn't support.  It's unsupported but if it works for the subset
> of package you chose then I'm not going to stop you - until my package
> breaks your system.
>
>> There are also gray cats.
>
> We've not made a rule about cats.

This is a way to say that a manichean attitude is a little bit
rigid. Manichean is when you say "'most' isn't support". Non manichean
is when 'most' is support with exceptions and corresponding documented
warnings. With all due respect I think that this is a finicky
discussion. Nobody talks here about ayatollish absolute support except
if we wish to stay in the pure Persian tradition.

--
Peter