[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 18 02:13:35 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jan 17 13:54:39 -0500 2011:

Hi Phil,

> If the latter, I believe that our president said before the most
> recent vote, that the "sharing /opt/csw" issue would be decided
> later, by a separate, explicit vote.  If so, it would be premature
> to adjust documentation to remove "we support sharing /opt/csw"

Well, I think it was closer to "lets assume we support sharing
/opt/csw and look at the var/ issue through that lens" without saying
anything about a looming vote.

One of the discussion topics for the winter camp is: Clearly define
the goals of the project which in turn will be used to set package
policy.  I imagine that NFS sharing will be brought up as part of
this.  The winter camp won't actually be setting new policies
directly[1], but it may spur on the call for voting on various topics.

Dago has requested a discussion about "Freeze of package relevant
changes (package naming, file locations, etc.)" as a topic too.  I
agree that this is a good idea.

We've had a lot of things up in the air lately and not enough time to
get packages catch up.  It's good that we're active and discussing
things like this, but if we're constantly architecting, we're not
actually building.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] Policy setting means voting which means more time required.