[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 18 10:54:07 CET 2011

James Lee <james at opencsw.org> writes:

> On 17/01/11, 15:48:33, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
> Re: [csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw:
>
>> > "most" isn't support.  It's unsupported but if it works for the subset
>> > of package you chose then I'm not going to stop you - until my package
>> > breaks your system.

>> > We've not made a rule about cats.
>
>> This is a way to say that a manichean attitude is a little bit
>> rigid. Manichean is when you say "'most' isn't support". Non manichean
>> is when 'most' is support with exceptions and corresponding documented
>> warnings. With all due respect I think that this is a finicky
>> discussion. Nobody talks here about ayatollish absolute support except
>> if we wish to stay in the pure Persian tradition.
>
> You in particular have been complaining about discretion in the CSW
> process.  If you don't like a rule don't make it.  I do hope those that
> drove the democratic decision actually understood the issues, else, in
> the best tradition of referenda, we'd better try again until we get the
> right answer.

This is non sense because:

- I was complaining about *past* opacity and obscurity
- I like the rule and proud to participate in it's making
- people making up our community have the required intelligence to
  understand the issues at stake
- the tradition to which you refer was anti-democratic, e.g. European
  Constitution and all, i.e. referendum says no and parliament says yes,
  in France, Netherlands and Ireland at least.

> I'm completely at ease with not supporting NFS, but don't pretend it's
> supported when we have policies that contradict it.

This discussion being hopeless I let you have as many "last words" as you
wish and ending my contribution to this thread.

--
Peter