[csw-maintainers] When a shared library needs a data file

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 18 23:21:08 CET 2011

On 1/18/11, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 18.01.2011 um 22:11 schrieb Philip Brown:
>
> No problem to put all docs in *-doc (as said for big packages like QT).
> If there is no doc package section 3 belongs to *-dev. At least this is
> the default in GAR and IMHO it makes sense to do so.

I agree

>> _devel, is at minimum, for files *required* for developing/compiling.
>> Technically speaking, man pages and other docs are not "required" there.
>
> ...but neither are they associated with the normal package containing
> binaries. API documentation (which is (3)) is pretty much related to
> development I would say, maybe section 5 (standards) is also. In
> addition to that I would minimize footprint for regular use and put
> everything only valuable to a developer in *-devel.

Sorry, for some reason I was not thinking that there is already a
devel. I had the impression you were talking about a devel package,
consisting solely of those man pages :-}

yes, when there is a devel package already, I agree that *small*
development-specific documentation can fit in there.
However, I think that "large" dev docs, usually belong in a  _docs package.
Depending on whether the _devel package itself is small.
If it's large anyway... then large docs arent so important. to split.