[csw-maintainers] When a shared library needs a data file

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jan 19 18:48:57 CET 2011

On 1/19/11, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> ...  The reason I prefer CSWlibmagic-somethingspecific is
> that it's more informative.  The "-common" suffix suggests that this
> is a base package for libmagic, which is fine, but not very
> informative.  I thought about -magic, because it designates one
> specific file that can be later phased out by removing a package - the
> same idea that is behind shared libraries.

to me, -common strongly implies that there are multiple functional
(user facing) components to a single piece of software, within a
single version.
If I saw  "libmagic", and "libmagic-common", I would be wondering
where "libmagic-somethingelse" is, that I may be missing.
(-devel doesnt count)

If you are looking for something more generic than -magic, there would
seem to be multiple other choices. For example,  -data seems to be
often used elsewhere.
libmagic-data seems fairly clear, yet at the same time, somewhat
generic and standardized.