[csw-maintainers] /usr/local references, and packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jan 28 05:14:21 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> If one were to analyze the packages submitted in the last 6 months
>> (SUBMITTED, not only accepted), one might find an odd peak in the
>> frequency of things containing /usr/local in the last month or so.
>> Dont know why, it just happens sometimes
>
> Well, this indicates a problem in the way the release process is
> currently operating then, even when looking at this 6 month window.
> The original 5.10 release wasn't flagged for this but you indicate the
> tools have not changed.  This means that your process is not being
> applied routinely.

Yes. I have to apologise for this.
Sometimes I make the "mistake" of "trusting maintainers" :-}
Bad release manager, bad! I need to stop doing that! :-D

I did not apply checkpkg and pore over the results for that release.
If memory serves, it was released as part of a mass dump of packages.
I did not have
the time to peruse the output fully for checkpkg for all the packages.
But Peter said he had done a lot of checking on it, and I think Dago
and someone else had been assisting, so I thought "okay, multiple eyes
have been on it, I dont know much about perl, so I'll just pass it
through".

For that sort of reason, I usually have left the perl package without
deep scrutiny. Particularly since there are a mess of non-critical
"/usr/local" flags in it.

But, now that the tool lets me more easily separate ignorable
warnings, from potentially more important ones, I took a closer look.