[csw-maintainers] [csw-pkgsubmissions] patching made simpler?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jul 2 14:27:19 CEST 2011

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jul 02 08:19:31 -0400 2011:

Hi Rupert,

> what is the best procedure to produce patches for
> subversion-1.7.0-alpha2.  some of the old ones are not applying
> cleanly? i saw http://wiki.opencsw.org/using-git-to-produce-patches.

There are a few options here, and the best choice depends on whether
the existing patches are still valid but the source has changed enough
that they don't apply or if you need entirely new patches.

In the case where you need to modify/update existing patches and the
patch step in GAR isn't doing it, I use:

1. Comment out patches that don't work from GAR recipe.
2. mgar spotless; mgar patch # this gets any working patches setup
3. cd work/solaris.../build-isa.../foo-1.2.3/;
4a. patch -p1 < ../../../../files/oldpatch.diff # maybe try different
    	      					# fuzz levels here
4b. If patch still doesn't apply it, recreate the patch by making the
    required file edits.
5. cd -
6. mgar makepatch

The last step should get you an updated patch.

I think that wiki pages needs some updates to reflect that generating
patches, using git, is now integrated into GAR (and isn't POC any
more).

Does this help?

Thanks