[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement, take 3

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 20 04:16:16 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Maciej Bliziński's message of Mon Jul 18 07:03:02 -0400 2011:

Hi Maciej,

> The questions discussed were e.g. how to compile against an older
> version of the library. One idea was to keep header and .so files in
> separate directories; another idea was to have incompatible dev
> packages and that the choice of the version would be made by
> installing or uninstalling specific dev packages.

I don't recall (and haven't googled the archive) whether we discussed
using alternatives as a mechanism that could default to newest .so but
be toggled to older versions as required...This would allow
side-by-side installation of the -dev packages.  For buildfarm use, it
could be a little unpleasant if it's switched for building one package
and then affects other users.  That might be reason enough to discard
the idea.

> What are your thoughts about it?  Would you like to see the proposal
> integrated into our shared libraries packaging policy?

The less we have in special-prefix areas the better, as far as I'm
concerned.  If we do this, we'll need to tackle (as a separate item)
the header files, etc too.

Thanks