[csw-maintainers] graphviz: pushed to unstable - problem analysis, solution, and next issue

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 2 23:58:45 CEST 2011

Hi John,

Am 02.06.2011 um 23:42 schrieb John Ellson:
> Next problem:
>
>    - Can someone advise me how to deal with the ImageMagic issue of
> depending on the older graphviz libraries?
> Maciej made changes (thank you) so that this won't be a problem next
> time, but this time its still a problem.
>
> I think Maciej suggested shipping the old libs along with the new
> packages?   Is it kosher to just copy the old binary images
> in to the new packages?  How would I actually do that?

The "classical" approach is to use a version modulation and build all
necessary versions in one build and then merge them. As this can be tricky
the "modern" approach is to just use different recipes to build the libraries.
See for example libflac4, libflac7 and libflac8 which build the necessary
libraries. Also
  libtool/branches/libldtl3
  libttol/branches/libtool24
could be used to study the technology (please don't use the path layout
from libtool, though. The correct one is the one used for libflac*).