[csw-maintainers] An end to IRC back-biting ?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Jun 8 03:12:38 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jun 06 18:52:51 -0400 2011:

Hi Phil,

> There was absolutely no positive effect to be gained from sniping
> about me on the public channel, or even mentioning the issue on irc
> in the first place, particularly as I'd already addressed the issue.

You frustrate people.  People need to vent and say things like this
when they're frustrated.  As many of us hang out in irc all the time,
it's the natural place to do so.  It's the kind of thing friends do
with each other.

This particular jab stems from the perception that you hold yourself
as better than everyone else in the project.  You may not actually
feel this way, but to put it succinctly, this is the impression you
give.  It's perception that counts here.

If you could step back and see how your interactions with people
negatively colour their view of you, you might come to realize why
we're all so frustrated.  We've tried explaining it to you but you've
ignored, misinterpreted or outright dismissed the explanations.

I've gotten to the point where I find it incredibly difficult to
engage you at all.  I'm sure you've noticed that I walk away from
conversations with you, knowing full well that you'll reply anyway.
You may have also noticed a distinct lack of response to mailing list
threads you start.  People just don't think it's worth their time.

Is it just me?  Maybe.  I don't think it's all you as it does take two
to tango.  That being said, I have to wonder why so many others share
the same sentiment?  Then I'd wonder why everyone else is able to
interact so positively all the time?

> How about we have an end to negatively talking behind peoples'
> backs, on the supposedly " 'friendly' solaris channel"?

The channel _is_ very friendly.  I don't think I'd be stretching
things in the least to say that we're one of the best resources on the
net for helpful advice on solaris.  If you hung out and actually
participated in the community, perhaps you'd agree.

Although you may take this as just another personal attack, please
accept it as a sincere, honest and direct response.  It's borne out of
the same frustration that Maciej and Peter feel when they take part in
irc conversations such as the one you quoted.

Thanks