[csw-maintainers] Idea for a new check: binary name conflicts

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 12 03:56:57 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Maciej Bliziński's message of Sat Jun 11 19:18:08 -0400 2011:

Hi Maciej,

> One of our guidelines has historically been to not provide binaries
> in /opt/csw/bin named the same way as the ones in /usr/bin.  For
> instance, bug 4533 has been filed because cups packages provide
> /opt/csw/bin/lp which conflicts with /usr/bin/lp.

I'm not sure I'd consider this a problem.  If you're using cups, you
most likely want /opt/csw/bin/lp.  You don't want to have to learn new
commands for things that have traditional names (lp, lpstat, etc)
because cups is in play either.

> What are your thoughts on adding a check for binary name conflicts?

I don't see it as a conflict personally.  The filesystem provides a
separate name space and we're using it.  If you want the system lp,
either set the path accordingly or fully qualify it.  No point in
jumping through hoops for something like this, imo.

Thanks