[csw-maintainers] proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 24 02:19:19 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Jun 23 17:39:32 -0400 2011:

> actually, just the opposite is true. I've been petitioning the board
> for an EARLIER vote on the related issues, for over a month
> now. They

Yes, we've been seeing the same things on board@ as we get on
maintainers at .  Things like "good news, I solved the problem with this
so we can keep a human release manager," etc...eg: working diligently
to derail this.

The vote writeup you did was an attempt at this.  I _want_ you to do
this writeup as much as possible as that removes avenues for complaint
later.  What I'm not going to allow is for this to be hijacked and
derailed by changing the content of the vote.

Admittedly, I've been slow in handling some of this this.  There are a
few reasons for that, not the least of which is that it's absolutely
painful moving forward as I know that each step is met with the same
thing.

> If you disbelieve this, then request access to the full archives of
> the board mailing list for the last 2 months.

Anyone that wishes may see this.  There's nothing to hide there.

> my first emails to them about getting a vote going, was back on may
> 9th

The vote will open on Monday the 27th.  That should be plenty of time
to wrap up any discussion assuming you get your proposed amendments
out tonight.  If real back and forth debate is still happening at that
time, we can delay.  Real debate would be welcome.

I'm going to be thrilled when this is settled though as there are
other OpenCSW things I'd like to spend time on.

> I put forth a proposal for voting. I took the time to write up a
> template for general "proposal" type ballots. They are the ones who
> delayed things, and then, weeks later, finally brought forward a
> "vote" which was vastly different to the one I requested, in order
> to favor their position.

The problem here is that you didn't request a vote.  You knew a vote
was coming and tried to steer it away from the heart of what we put
forward.  We can and will use this template that you have put together
although the wording will need work as we will be voting on the
proposal, not your wish for status quo.

As in many other cases, I'm done discussing this with you unless you
advance something useful to the discussion.  By useful, I mean
constructive.

Thanks