[csw-maintainers] experimental: subversion --> git, mercurial

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 25 17:01:59 CEST 2011

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jun 25 10:50:20 -0400 2011:

Hi Rupert,

> > mgar init (maybe re-init to help with svn -> git)
> >

> this seems not to work yet ...
>
> rupert at login:~/git-ben
> $ mgar init mercurial
> -bash: mgar: command not found

There are two problems here.

1. You likely don't have CSWmgar installed.
2. The mgar tool will need to learn how to checkout the git repo
   instead of the svn repo.

It was a "hypothetically this would become."  Sebastian would have the
best idea of how easy something like this would be to implement.

> > i created, as experiment, https://github.com/opencsw/mercurial,
> and i tried to write a description which one could execute with the
> existing buildserver installation.  would this be ok like this:
> https://github.com/opencsw/gar/wiki/move-a-package-from-sourceforge.subversion-to-github.opencsw
> ?

I don't have time for a full review now, but this would raise an
interesting issue.  Currently we have one big repository for every
package.  What you've detailed here would see a separate repository
for each package description.  I can see pros and cons to this and
will outline some of them later[1]

I think a big consideration will be performance.  While subversion
_really_ sucks when working on the whole tree, git will (almost)
always work on the whole tree as it doesn't have the notion of
checking out bits and pieces of a repository like svn doesn (this
would hold for hg too, iiuc).  Git is inherently faster than svn but
it may still be slow to work with the whole tree...

Thanks
-Ben

[1] It's my son's birthday party today soI'll be more offline than on.