[csw-maintainers] Assessing catalog quality

Jonathan Craig jcraig at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 26 02:04:35 CEST 2011

2011/6/25 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>

> Here's my question to maintainers: What metrics would you apply to the
> catalog for the purpose of catalog quality evaluation?  Which aspects
> of packages, or interactions between packages would you take into
> consideration?  Do you have any already working code that could be
> used for this purpose?

Here are some thoughts, but I'm not knowledgeable enough of the
internals of package publishing to know if they are determinable.

Positive measures could include:
  New package submission - Count of packages that didn't previously exist
  Updated packages           - Count of packages that increment their
version number

Negative measure could include:
  Patched packages           - Count of packages submitted that didn't
increment their version number

Neutral but interesting stats could include:
  Number of gar managed packages       - new or updated packages managed by gar
  Number of non-gar managed packages - new or updated packages from
outside of gar
  -- These speaks to quality if one accepts that packages built and
maintained through gar are both easier to update and/or takeover
  Number of package takeovers              - indicative of the
stability of the maintainer-ship

Other non-catalog stats to report
  Track / Report post counts to the various mailing lists  -
indicative of the vibrancy of the various constituencies
  Wiki updates (Gar/OpenCSW)                                   -
indicative of readily available documentation
  OpenCSW site updates                                            -
indicative of the freshness of the site