[csw-maintainers] Obsoleting packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Mar 10 19:58:08 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Mar 10 12:05:07 -0500 2011:
>
>> Because of  the automated "block ACCIDENTAL file collisions" checks,
>> every single rename is a manual decision at the moment.
>
> But this is just a different version of a package split, no?  Files
> move between packages all the time.

And its often a pain for the person who has to handle the actual
package registration.
Lucky you, you guys dont have to deal with that pain. I do.
being release manager is not a whole lot of fun.

It depends on the exact order that the "new" packages get registered.
If it happens that a new package with the same PKG name as the
existing one gets registered *first*, and thus "frees up" the filename
space, then its easy and "automatic", of sorts.
But most often it happens the other way, and I need to figure out
which one I need to register "first".

>  Is the issue the fact that the
> catalog name is the primary key and that's changing?

Off the top of my head, the PKG name is primary key. Which would be
appropriate, since that's what Solaris "keys" it off, as well.