[csw-maintainers] compiler vs compiler

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 16 17:32:15 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed Mar 16 12:28:44 -0400 2011:

> How is "I dont have to think; the tool will do it for me", a "pita
> for the user" ??

The do have to think.  They need to ensure CC is set properly in the
environment.

> Err, no... *users* cannot toggle the preference. only sysadmins can.
> Thats why its not the best solution.

Users in the sense of site admins.  Admins control what compilers are
available, so it's a good idea to allow them to make the choice.  It's
also possible, using alternatives to allow both choices if the user
(non-admin) wants to install an alternate compiler locally, etc.

Thanks