[csw-maintainers] compiler vs compiler

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Mar 16 17:51:40 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed Mar 16 12:28:44 -0400 2011:
>
>> How is "I dont have to think; the tool will do it for me", a "pita
>> for the user" ??
>
> The do have to think.  They need to ensure CC is set properly in the
> environment.

That is standard practice for practically all software build sysems.
If it isnt defined, it usually gets defined. So still pretty much on
the "dont have to think" level.

>> Err, no... *users* cannot toggle the preference. only sysadmins can.
>> Thats why its not the best solution.
>
> Users in the sense of site admins.  Admins control what compilers are
> available,

and often, they choose to have both sun cc and gcc available to their users.
That's why the auto-adapt methodology serves our customers better.
Yes, its more work for maintainers.
But that is why our customers value CSW maintainers. They do more
work, so CSW *users* do less work.