[csw-maintainers] Fwd: help needed for subversion ...

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 17 16:26:55 CET 2011

Hi Sebastian,

Am 17.03.2011 um 16:00 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
> * Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> As there is only one revision for the whole svn tree including GAR and
>> the packages the tree and number is sufficient. The URL and revision is
>> in the packages for a long time now:
>>
>>  web at web [web]:/home/web/bin > pkgparam CSWiconv OPENCSW_REPOSITORY
>>  https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/libiconv/trunk@5766
>>
>> You can use the revision to fixate the external link on checking out GAR.
>
> Understood, but I fear there's a very common scenario where this doesn't
> yield the proper result. Person A and B do the following:
>
> * A checks out the whole tree
> * B commits several changes to GAR
> * A doesn't update GAR, commits changes to a package recipe
> * A builds this package

This would break it, yes. The only way to check this is to use
something like Hudson which always builds at consistent state.
With "mgar package" you could also enforce this as it requires
a commit or "UNCOMMITTED" would be in the package name. You could
update GAR after commit to exactly the commmitted level before
the actual package build.

> Doesn't the repo revision from OPENCSW_REPOSITORY then refer to a GAR
> revision which is newer than the one that was actually used to build the
> package?

In the above case, yes, but it is fixable, also as above.

> Also, from looking at the _REVISION code for OPENCSW_REPOSITORY it seems
> to rely on the (to be obsoleted) gar/ symlink, right?

I don't think so.

> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/gar/v2/gar.pkg.mk#L597
>
>> This should best be done using by using mgar and with some build option
>> to it, like "mgar --legacy-rebuild" or something.
>
> Definitly. As soon as the general concept is sorted, I'll start
> integrating an appropriate mechanism.

Cool.