[csw-maintainers] Fwd: Major adjustment of GAR defaults

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 21 14:31:03 CET 2011

Hi,

I have made a test branch "v2-defaultchange" with the described changes
and some minor adjustments.

Am 15.03.2011 um 10:39 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen:

> Fellow maintainers,
>
> as it was observed during the talk in Dublin some defaults in GAR are
> not really sane and it would be good to adjust them. The following
> variables are candidates for adjustment:
>
> * MERGE_SCRIPTS_isa-extra = copy-relocated-only copy-config-only
>
> This is copy-relocated-only at the moment. The present setting just
> copies
> $(bindir)/*-config
> but not the 64 bit equivalent
> $(bindir)/(sparcv9|amd64)/*-config
> This change should be transparent to all packages only fixing
> issues about missing *-config for 64 bit.
>
> * MERGE_DIRS_isa-extra = $(libdir)
>
> This is now
> $(bindir) $(libdir) $(sbindir) $(libexecdir)
> However, it was felt that most of the time only the libraries need to
> be provided for 64 bit and the binaries hence should be excluded for
> automatic inclusion.
> Adding the old default to build recipes may or may not be good because
> there are several other ways to exclude files and it would be
> confusing to add them explcitily and later on remove them again.

I have enhanced this that the new setting with just libdir is the default
if NO isaexec is used, otherwise the existing default with $(bindir) etc.
is kept.

> * CONFIGURE_ARGS = $(DIRPATHS)
>
> This defaults to empty ATM. The number of packages using configure with
> no arguments should be really small as this would be a non-standard
> build.

In addition to this there is now
 EXTRA_CONFIGURE_ARGS
for additions.

> * TEST_TARGET = check
>
> The previous target was "test". This can be detected and reset
> for Makefiles requiring the old target.
>
> * NOISAEXEC = 1 -> ISAEXEC ?= 0
>
> The current default is to use ISAEXEC when more then one ISA is built.
> Again as most of the time libraries are used for multiple ISAs the
> defaulting of ISAEXEC is usually considered wrong and should be
> enabled together with $(bindir) MERGE_DIRS only when a benefit has
> been proven.
> The current name is "NOISAEXEC", changing the default to "1" would
> require setting "NOISAEXEC = 0" which looks not straight forward.
> I tend to invert it to default to "ISAEXEC ?= 0" and allow setting
> of "ISAEXEC = 1" in the Makefile. This can be detected and reset
> for Makefile using it.
>
> * sysconfdir = /etc/opt/csw
> * localstatedir = /var/opt/csw
>
> These have been changed some time ago and should be the default
> now. Only very specific packages should stick to /opt/csw/etc
> as default and /opt/csw/var should not be used at all.
> As the new default should apply to a lot of packages I would
> rather not update this automatically.
>
> I plan to do the update in one large swoop.

About the warning printed on major changes: I could print a warning once
(by using a cookie) if the commit of the Makefile is older then the
major GAR change and print a note about each change to be reviewed.