[csw-maintainers] plan for _stub packages

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 29 02:14:37 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Mar 28 16:18:36 -0400 2011:

Hi Phil,

> When you upload a _stub package for release, the registration process
> will attempt to look at the "obsolete" file, if present.
>    It will then DEREGISTER from our web databases, both the sub
> package itself, and any packages referenced by the "obsolete" file.

The 'obsolete' file in the pkgmap of a package indicates that the
package carrying it is obsolete.  The _content_ of that file denotes
which package (or packages) have taken on the functionality formerly
provided by the package that is now obsolete.

In some cases, this will be one item (eg: pmfoo -> pm_foo).  In
others, it may be multiple (eg: coolpkgrt -> libcool1,
libcoolsupport2, etc).

> This is beneficial for us for multiple reasons; one of which being
> that we will avoid having literally hundreds of "xxx_stub" packages
> littering up mantis, etc.

This is a good thing.

Thanks