[csw-maintainers] Sendmail question

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Mon May 9 10:29:28 CEST 2011

On 09/05/11, 08:13:16, Jeffery Small <jeff at cjsa.com> wrote regarding
[csw-maintainers] Sendmail question:

> The mail files appear to be sitting in /opt/csw/var/spool/clientmqueue
> for up to 15 minutes due to the -q15m option.  I want to speed up
> delivery, but I am unsure where to set this.  In the sendmail book I
> cannot seem to find any sendmail configuration option to modify the
> *.mc file and subsequent sendmail.cf.  The script which fires off the
> processes is located at /opt/csw/lib/svc/method/svc-sendmail and
> contains the following section:

> check_queue_interval_syntax()
> {
>     default="15m"
>     if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then
>       answer=$default
>       return
>     fi
>     if echo $1 | egrep '^([0-9]*[1-9][0-9]*[smhdw])+$' >/dev/null 2>&1;
then
>       answer=$1
>     else
>       answer=$default
>     fi
> }

> Now, I can change the default value here, but I really don't want to edit
> this file since it will likely be overwritten every time the sendmail
> package is updated.

$1 is $CLIENTQUEUEINTERVAL which is sourced from $DEFAULT_FILE which is
/opt/csw/etc/default/sendmail

Try:
CLIENTQUEUEINTERVAL=10m
in /opt/csw/etc/default/sendmail (untested suggestion).

Alex was an early adopter of the Service Management Facility with CSW so
his methods predate current ideas.

I think 15m is a good interval for retries - don't hammer the receiver if
it's not ready.

Your underlying problem is that some local email is being queue.  I use
the default (SUNW) sendmail client to pass to my exim server.  Sendmail
client only queues when the receiver is not ready.  If it's queuing check
the receiver.

James.