[csw-maintainers] Fwd: [csw-users] Can't find CSWunrealircd

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue May 10 20:26:20 CEST 2011

2011/5/10 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> 2011/5/7 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>> If you search for 'unrealircd build', you will find a forum post in which
>> unrealircd developer says they discourage packaging it.
>
> The mentioned forum post:
> http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?p=33524#p33524

doesnt seem particularly relevant to the problems we are facing right
now, on a technical level. There is no technical barrier mentioned.
It's more that the developer appears to be allergic to packaging.
Possibly one of those rabid religious zealots that believes that all
software should only be distributed via source, and EVERYONE should
compile ALL their programs from source.
(which ignores the inconvenient problem of: if everything is source,
then with what are you going to compile it, and what are you going to
compile it ON? ;-)

It's ironic that (as pointed out in the thread), he is pro GPL, yet at
the same time resists the direct results of GPL:  anyone can take the
program, and redistribute it and tweak it in any manner they wish, to
suit their needs or preferences.
Sad, really.

but reguardless, anyone who is interested in it, should package it.
if no-one is interested in it, then lets remove its registration, and move on.