[csw-maintainers] introducing csw-upload-pkg

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat May 14 05:02:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Additionally, I see no reason why the same person doing QA now can't
> file a bug instead of writing an email.

and I see no reason why you "couldnt" send me $200 every month.
I'm sure you "could". but are you going to? :)

> To stick to you web analogies: you want the cathedral instead of the
> bazaar.

well, if you want to go there.. I seem to recall that "Mr. cathedral
and the bazaar" himself, said that the bazaar methodology is NOT
suited to every purpose.

Also, "the bazaar model" does not mean "no QA before release". it
means [OPEN testing(and source code], according to the summary at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

That is not at all the same thing as "open (no lack of individuals in
charge) *releases*"
You are twisting, or perhaps misunderstanding, the whole premise there.

You name ONE MAJOR DISTRIBUTION that has a completely automated release process?
Debian? nope. redhat? nope. ubuntu? nope. slackware? nope.
*LINUX ITSELF*?
That's a big *nope*.

Right now, "current" is the one and only "release" that we have.
We have no "stable release manager" any more.
(because its a worse job than even the current release manager, and
no-one wants to do it in a serious manner any more)

This is effectively going to a fully automated "release" system.

> Publishing packages to unstable first give more
> people a chance to inspect and actually use packages before going
> to current.

side comment: "unstable" has too much history, both with us, and with
other distros. it would probably be better named "testing".