[csw-maintainers] -norunpath and -xnorunpath

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat May 21 14:22:26 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 20.05.2011 um 19:15 schrieb Joerg Schilling:
> John Ellson <ellson at opencsw.org> wrote:

>>> Are you compiling C++?
>>>
>>> Jörg
>>>

>> Oh! yes, thats right.   I'm compiling against a swig generated wrapper
>> of a thin C++ layer.
>>
>> ./configure is finding:
>>
>> CXX='/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC'
>
> Well, CC does not support -xnorunpath and the build system of your software
> should know this if it supports Sunpro C.

Don't let this fool you. -xnorunpath has nothing to do with Johns
problems. cc and CC take different flags to not include runpathes:
-xnorunpath for cc and -norunpath for CC. As they are linker flags
they should be in LDFLAGS. However, the use of LDFLAGS is not compiler
specific. As some programs link with cc and some with CC I tried at
one point to just put both in there and ignore the warning. However,
there are certain cases where LDFLAGS is passed to libtool causing
real errors so I took it out and now require explicit addition
in GAR as EXTRA_LINKER_FLAGS after encountering the problem and
manually setting the flag to the correct value.

The issue arose between r9383 and r13727 as documented at the bottom of
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/

The change was accounted in March:
  http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2011-March/014334.html