[csw-maintainers] getting people onto dublin (from: stable)

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 18 23:19:01 CET 2011

2011/11/18 Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> 2011/11/18 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
>> Additionally, I think we should never disable access to anything the hard way.
>> Adding a note to be displayed would be IMHO best.
>
> I had this radical idea:
>
> mv stable stable-do-not-use
>
> Concerns and answers:
>
> 1. "sites that have subscribed to stable won't get updates"
> Answer: Stable doesn't get updates anyway
>
> 2. "sites that have subscribed to stable will see error during update attempts"
> Answer: Yes, that's the idea: they'll see errors and will realize
> they need to do something about it.
>
> 3. "sites that are desperate and must keep using stable will have to
> update their configuration"
> Answer: Tough luck.
>
> 4. "new sites will not be able to subscribe to stable in a straightforward way"
> Answer: Exactly! They shouldn't subscribe to stable.

This is more like the end result I would like to see as well. We
should not remove stable completely, instead a rename does the needed
job.

However, I think we need to properly announce it in all channels
available to us like users list, web site, irc title and twitter. They
should be given something like a month of advance notice.

/peter