[csw-maintainers] How do you determine archive URLs for list emails?

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 17 13:48:12 CEST 2011

* Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Am 16.10.2011 um 13:19 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
> > how do you guys determine the list archive URL for emails on this list?
> > I often refer people to our archives and my somehow tedious workflow
> > looks like this:
> >
> > * Find relevant email/thread topic in mutt
> > * Search URL via google: "site:lists.opencsw.org $topic"
>
> I usually go to
>   http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/
> and look for the specific date of the message found in the previous step.

Okay, that's also still two steps then. One possibility to reduce it to
1 manual and 1 automated step could be to pipe the email in the MUA to a
script that determines the URL. That's dependent on the MUA capabilities
then, but still better than nothing.

> > The second step is what bugs me. Could mailman include the archive URL
> > in the email headers (currently, it doesn't seem to do)? Then, a MUA
> > search would be sufficient.
>
> Or the footer? Is this at all possible?

Yes, the footer would be even better. Don't think so though, searched
the Mailman resources in the meantime and only found a wishlist item
with that feature [1]. Sent an email to the mailman-users list to find
out about the current state and other possibilites.

Sebastian

[1] http://www.gnu.org/s/mailman/todo.html (API between MM and archiver)