[csw-maintainers] GCC 4.6 progress

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 17 21:23:27 CEST 2011

2011/10/6 Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> The plan:
> - use the current* hosts with gcc-4.3.3 with Ada to build an
> intermediate gcc-4.6.1 with Ada support
> - use the intermediate gcc-4.6.1 with Ada support to build the
> gcc-4.6.1 packages with GAR, on the unstable hosts
> - update unstable with the new gcc-4.6.1 with Ada
> - rebuild the gcc-4.6.1 packages with gcc-4.6.1.

I'm switching from packaging work to checkpkg / pkgdb development.  We
cannot promote gcc-4.6.1 to dublin before we build ada.  Would anyone
be willing to build an intermediate gcc-4.6.1 on current* hosts with
ada support?

What is needed, is a working gcc-4.6.1 with ada, with any prefix (e.g.
--prefix=$HOME/usr), without any slicing to packages. The only
function of this gcc will be to use it to build the target gcc-4.6.1.
This intermediate gcc is a one-off thing, doesn't have to be built
with GAR.  It just needs to work and to bootstrap gcc-4.6. on
unstable* hosts once.  Then our GAR build will be self sufficient.

Are there any takers?