[csw-maintainers] file conflicts and the future...

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Oct 28 15:03:11 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Fri Oct 28 03:51:46 -0400 2011:
> Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> writes:
>
> > My question to you is: Are people comfortable moving to a system where
> > declaring a package incompatible with another package is sufficient to
> > deliver conflicting files or should we stick to the traditional "1
> > file, 1 package" mechanism?
>
> Incompatibility is a good solution for most cases.

Agreed.  Does pkgutil do anything special with the I-deps in the
catalog at this point or do we rely on pkgadd to handle these cases?

> > Although this question is mostly driven by "how should I write the
> > code to deal with this" it's also a general issue that can (and
> > does[1]) arise in non-error situations.
> >
> > Packages in the current set of "to register" (changes since the last
> > manual run) with conflicts are:
> > berkeleydb3_dev
> > gcc4objc
> > gcc4g++
> > gcc4core
> >
> > I think the first is the result of not removing an older package
> > (devel -> dev) and the gcc4 packages require an update of the older
> > gcc3 packages to correct.  The first will most likely disappear but
> > the gcc4 packages will retain the conflict until gcc3 is cleaned up.
>
> From my point of view, gcc3 and gcc4 are incompatible but I think that
> their conflict should be managed by alternatives.

Ok.  You'd know better than me here.  For the initial import of
updated data to the web database, I'm simply going to ignore this
conflict.

Thanks