[csw-maintainers] file conflicts and the future...

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Oct 30 09:27:53 CET 2011

2011/10/28 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> Although this question is mostly driven by "how should I write the
>> code to deal with this" it's also a general issue that can (and
>> does[1]) arise in non-error situations.
>>
>> Packages in the current set of "to register" (changes since the last
>> manual run) with conflicts are:
>> berkeleydb3_dev
>> gcc4objc
>> gcc4g++
>> gcc4core
>>
>> I think the first is the result of not removing an older package
>> (devel -> dev) and the gcc4 packages require an update of the older
>> gcc3 packages to correct.  The first will most likely disappear but
>> the gcc4 packages will retain the conflict until gcc3 is cleaned up.
>
> From my point of view, gcc3 and gcc4 are incompatible but I think that
> their conflict should be managed by alternatives.

The main conflict is currently the *.so files in /opt/csw/lib.  Both
gcc3 and gcc4 provide for example /opt/csw/lib/libgcj.so.  The main
question is whether gcc3 can work correctly with
/opt/csw/lib/libgcj.so from gcc4.  If not, the gcc3 package will need
to do a similar thing to the one we did with the libnet package:
provide /opt/csw/lib/gcc3/libgcj.so and add -L/opt/csw/lib/gcc3 to
linker invocations.