[csw-maintainers] Catalog layout

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Sep 3 12:00:44 CEST 2011

Hello maintainers,

Early in the planning of the new catalog layout, we introduced the
notion of snapshots.  They are currently available from the mirror:

http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw-future/snapshots/

I initially thought of snapshots as of something that can be
eventually promoted to stable.  But we've come up with the idea of
named releases, which I think is a much better one.

I'd like to remove snapshots from the mirror.  If we want to have some
sort of catalog tracking system, we can have it on the buildfarm, but
I think that the price we pay in terms of the archive size is too
high.  Having snapshots means that we have a lot more hardlinks to
cross-check and rsync, and we can't garbage-collect allpkgs as
efficiently, because files keep being used by the snapshots.

However, I just realized I can't back up my claim by numbers, so I'll
try to measure how many files and how much space we're talking about.
All I have right now is watching rsync and thinking "man, this is
taking too much time."