[csw-maintainers] the future of pkg-get...

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 7 22:41:01 CEST 2011

2011/9/5 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Am 05.09.2011 um 22:12 schrieb Ben Walton:
>> Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Mon Sep 05 16:00:01 -0400 2011:
>>> Hi Ben,
>>
>>> pkg_get_stub could provide a message of the type "2".
>>
>> Wouldn't this be too easy to miss in the output?  Or are you saying
>> that the _stub package should deliver a single file with a script
>> capable of dumping this message in addition to pulling in pkgutil?
>
> Yes, pkg_get_stub has a file /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get which does
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo <<EOF
> The use of pkg-get is deprecated. Please use pkgutil(1) instead.
> EOF
>
> exit 1

I was thinking about a scenario where alternatives are used.  The
default implementation would be the one cited above, and the second
choice would be the original pkg-get, which you would choose if you
really really wanted to.  This way, we get people to understand what's
going on, but we don't take away the ability to use the tool.