[csw-maintainers] mgar makepatch for more than one patch

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Sep 9 15:47:04 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Maciej Bliziński's message of Fri Sep 09 09:38:35 -0400 2011:

> How about splitting makepatch in two parts:
>
> mgar stagepatch
> mgar makepatch
>
> The first would run git stage -p + git commit.  You would run it a
> number of times until all changes would be committed.  You'd then run
> mgar makepatch to generate the patch files, update the Makefile, and
> then go "mgar clean package" to test whether the build recipe works.

Well, I'm not sure I want to expose stage -p by default.  For people
not comfortable with git, this could be a very bad introduction to the
power feature.  If however we left makepatch the way it is[1] but
introduced a new target (stagepatch) to allow those that wanted the
ability to use it without affecting those that don't want it, I could
live with that.

Would that suit your needs?  Do you think this is better than a
re-runnable makepatch target?

Thanks
-Ben

[1] I might need to change internal behaviour, but I'd leave the user
    facing experience the same.