[csw-maintainers] progress report

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 11 02:13:28 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Sat Sep 10 17:14:26 -0400 2011:

> If I wanted to look at the code, where would I look?

It's in the opencsw-ruby git repo that I created to house the atom
feed code.  As this new code shares a lot of functionality, I'm simply
expanding the lib/csw/ areas and will fill out appropriate bin/
scripts.

> How is it going?

Slowly right now.  I'm ready to do the database adapter parts but I'm
more and more convinced that sticking with the current db is not a
good idea.  There is just too much cruft there.  And not enough cruft
at the same time.

I think it's time to scrap this database and rewrite the schema from
scratch.  All hard ties in the old process between CSW (the name of
the web db) and mantis_prod should be cut.  The update functionality
should be split so that one process updates the web and another
updates mantis.  This should simplify both pieces of code.

The other _real_ gain here is that the new schema could become
catalog, os release and architecture aware.  That's a big lacking item
in the current browser.  With a properly normalized (including key
constraints) database, we can also wrap it with an ORM.

Thanks