[csw-maintainers] Implications of publishing packages to unstable

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 18 15:06:56 CEST 2011

2011/9/18 rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org>:
> would it be possible to include an experimental stage to the automated
> release process? i.e. have a machine where these packages are
> automatically deployed and can be run at least once before promoting
> them to unstable.

Installing automatically from experimental isn't a great idea, because
you might want to watch the packages being installed - imagine you're
debugging a postinstall script. If that installation were automated,
it would be harder for you to get the diagnostic information.

We have the test{9,10}{s,x} hosts on which we can install things to
test.  You log in there, say sudo pkgutil -t ... -y -i foo and you're
set.