[csw-maintainers] A couple of sendmail issues

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Sun Apr 8 06:26:37 CEST 2012

Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> writes:

>Do you mean on our web site? Because what is displayed at the end of
>install is in here: /opt/csw/share/doc/sendmail. It doesn't contain
>all the things you suggest though, that could be improved. I have also
>wanted the package browser on our web site to be able to display notes
>from the maintainer, now we use the wiki for that but it hasn't caught
>on with either maintainers or users.

Yes, this README.postinstall information is some of what I'm getting at.
If this type of info could be linked directly to the various package pages,
it would be very useful as a first place to go in addressing a problem.
This is the first time I ever realized that these files were actually on
my machine in the doc directory.  Is this something I and other end users
should have been aware of?  If so, I wonder how I missed learning about it.
So thanks for bringing that to my attention.

>Is there anything to learn here from other OS:es? How do they handle
>it? I remember a couple of years ago when I upgraded RH and they
>suddenly had switched to running BIND in chroot, that was a bit of a
>surprise I didn't notice until some hours later.

I personally don't have any experience with other systems, although I
am just now jumping in to Ubuntu linux, so maybe I'll eventually learn
something there.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040