[csw-maintainers] mgar usage feedback 2 : checking out a recipe

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Sun Apr 22 08:36:58 CEST 2012

As I mentioned in my first feedback, extracting the recipes with

mgar up --all

is too long if what I wish is to extract only one or a handful of
recipes.

I tried:

mgar up lsdvd

but it complained with:

    This command is supposed to be run from within a package build
    directory (i.e. one with a build recipe). Please change to one
    and re-run this command.

The same occurred when I set the current directory to the build-tree. I
don't say that it's not correct given the action that I request: an
update. But, when I ask for a full update (mgar up --all) it *checks* out
the recipes, consequently I expected to have the same behavior when
requesting one recipe.

For the moment, the only way to check out one recipe is to use
subversion, which is fine and natural but non orthogonal in mgar:

svn checkout \
    https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/lsdvd \
    ~/opencsw/lsdvd

Either we modify mgar to have an orthogonal behavior or we document
clearly how to extract specific recipes without incurring the excessive
load of checking out everything. I'm in favor of the former and here is
my proposition:

   When wishing to checkout or update a recipe, the following command
   should be given, whichever current directory:

      mgar up recipe

--
Peter