[csw-maintainers] Proposal: direct binding for all the opencsw software stack

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Aug 25 01:21:16 CEST 2012

Excerpts from Ben Walton's message of Fri Aug 24 15:04:16 -0400 2012:

> runtime binding).  The only case I could think of where that would
> be desirable behaviour is in something that dlopen()'s multiple
> objects for a plugin system where one plugin could redefine an
> interface and a second plugin could re-redefine it and so on.  It's
> like that there are other cases where it _might_ be desirable
> behaviour but I have to think it's by far the minority.

This isn't even valid.  I'm not sure where I was going with that.
dlopen()'d things wouldn't be directly applicable here.  I can't think
of a case where something would prefer the current behaviour if given
direct linking as an option.  There is likely something that does care
but as long as we can disable in that case, I think direct linking is
definitely the way to go.

Thanks