[csw-maintainers] Proposal: direct binding for all the opencsw software stack

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Aug 25 19:38:51 CEST 2012

Hi Yann,

Am 25.08.2012 um 18:03 schrieb Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org>:
>> How is LD_OPTIONS handled in the build process ? I do know very much this environment variable.
>
> I meant "I do not know".

LD_OPTIONS is passed as environment variable directly to the linker and
processed before any other option on the command line. Most of the time
this works for runtime paths and it is especially important to pass $ISALIST
in RPATH as '$' is sensitive to evaluation when passed with LDFLAGS - depending
on the build system the '$' needs to be quoted two or even three times.
The downside is that prepending /opt/csw/lib can brake the test suite because
the installed library is preferred over the newly built one:
  http://wiki.opencsw.org/porting-faq#toc10
For the discussed variables like direct or ignore it would be perfect as it
is not order relevant.