[csw-maintainers] GCC 4.7 release

Jan Holzhueter jh at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 3 15:37:59 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 03.12.12 15:03, schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
> I've got the new GCC built (some moons ago), but I can't release it,
> because people complain they can't run it on older Solaris 10
> releases. Yet they can't use the 4.6 version in dublin, they need the
> 4.7 version from unstable.
>
> I want to find a way out.
>
> There's a larger issue, what do we do with the kiel release. Do we
> keep it compatible with pre-U10 (or pre-U9?) releases? If we do, how
> do we do it? Yann spent a lot of time preparing maps, and I think
> there are still problems. Some ways to proceed I can think of:
>
> 1. Set U10 (or U9?) as a requirement to run kiel, force users to bite
> the bullet and upgrade.

Using U10 might be a little to hard. But update8 or 9 sounds good to me.
We should not go lower then update 8 though since it introduced
getpagesizes2 which in the new header files rewrites getpagesizes to
getpagesizes2. So even if you use getpagesizes you end up with
getpagesizes2 call.

> 2. Freeze kiel (but how do we release security fixes? Dago told me
> it's hard to simultaneously have different Solaris 10 releases on the
> buildfarm)
We can't do that for sparc as it would require an ldom for every
Solaris10 release. (Don't have enough RAM and CPU for that) In other
words we don't have the hardware for that.

> 3. Fix whatever problems there are with function version maps.

The map stuff is fixed now. The Problems I had was trying to drive it
down below update5. This does not work. But in my opinion update 5 is
old enough :) Production systems should be updated anyway.
As mentioned above we should move to update8 for Kiel.

(We should mention it on the homepage though. I wanted to write
something for that but did not have the time to do so.)

We should add some checks though.Because autofoo could check for wrong
stuff :) I think Yann did even start to write some test to check for
newer libc bindings. (could be wrong though )

In short. Move to Update 8 (Kernel 141444-09/141445-09 and higher) for Kiel

Greetings
Jan