[csw-maintainers] Cherry-picking unstable packages

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 14 10:03:28 CET 2012

2012/12/13 Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at opencsw.org>:
> Now, we just have to balance the interest of globally updating every already
> installed package from testing to kiel catalog,

The plan is that kiel will become the testing catalog some time in
2013. If your alternative plan is to stick with the testing catalog,
it will only make a temporal difference.

I wish we had killed the old stable half a year ago. If we did that,
we could have already promoted dublin to be the new stable and kiel
the new testing.

> or just the ones required to
> install new additional packages. The second option is more conservative, but
> seems to be quite difficult to achieve with rsyslog, as it is a native
> package with more versionned dependencies on core libraries (libgcc and
> liblz1).

We expect users to stick to one catalog and not mix packages. Of
course you're free to do what you want, but make sure you know what
you're doing and test your solution. Overall, I'd expect that sticking
to one catalog should be less overall hassle.

If you support many hosts, do you use any configuration management?

For instance, something along these lines:
http://www.andybotting.com/wordpress/using-pkgutil-on-solaris-with-puppet-for-easy-package-management