[csw-maintainers] Solaris 8 packages in named releases

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 22 23:01:18 CET 2012

Hello maintainers,

We are no longer building for Solaris 8, but we're still dragging along the
last Solaris 8 snapshot. It's present in the dublin release as well as in
kiel. I propose that we keep the Solaris 8 packages in dublin, but we drop
them from kiel.

The reason is that if we tell the world “hello world, we made a new
release!”, and there is a whole bunch of Solaris 8 packages, it will look
like as if we have done something in the Solaris 8 area, while we wouldn't
actually have. If, on the other hand, there is no "5.8" directory, it will
be obvious to users that they have to use an older release to get the
Solaris 8 packages. This should help people set the right expectations.

Thoughts?