[csw-maintainers] Solaris 8 packages in named releases

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 29 15:08:03 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> 12/12/29 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
>> A very simple addition to pkgutil will make moving to a new release
>> more obvious:
>>
>> 1. Look for $catalog_url/UPGRADE_AVAILABLE (name is for discussion
>> purposes, not a real proposal).
>> 2. If found, display with pause before doing new package actions.
>>
>> So, when we're ready to have people move from Dublin to the next
>> release, we place this file and pkgutil will now tell people that
>
> I like the idea. It would make the catalogs a linked list. It could be
> also a field in the catalog file, similar to the one with the creation
> date.

Dago suggested a long time ago support for a message-of-the-day
feature if files like ANNOUNCE/MOTD/CHANGES were present. We also have
talked about the RELEASE feature inside the catalogs, I think that was
in Kiel. The last one is already implemented in pkgutil but I don't
see that we publish the RELEASE line in our catalogs.

I just wanted to bring those older ideas up again.

/peter