[csw-maintainers] Garbage collection in allpkgs

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 29 15:19:30 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I ran garbage collection in our official catalog. This means that I
> removed files that were in allpkgs, but were not used/referenced by
> any of our catalogs. I managed to remove about 24GB worth of unused
> packages. The package files are not deleted, they are only moved out
> of allpkgs.
>
> Does anyone think we should keep old files forever, that is, keep more
> than just what's in our history of releases?

What catalogs did you match against, current ones or also archived ones?

I think many users have looked for that lost package from back in the
day, we had one single mirror in Germany that didn't rsync with
--delete so they basically archived everything but I don't think it
was official and they could stop doing that anytime. Could we do the
same somewhere on the buildfarm but not on the master mirror? Then we
would have an official archive for those that need it but since it
wouldn't be used that much it would be unnecessary to mirror it, we
would just link to it from our mirror page.

/peter