[csw-maintainers] MySQL package names

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 14 18:11:16 CET 2012

Quick summary of recent developments of the MySQL packages:

- Proper support for multiple MySQL versions is hard
- Therefore, we're better off succeeding to support one version of
MySQL rather than trying and failing to support multiple versions
- We have 5.0, which is old, 5.1 is old, even 5.5 is frankly quite old now.
- We probably want to release 5.5, replacing 5.0 and skipping 5.1.
- Our packages are currently named CSWmysql5 + friends

When we release 5.5, we'll want to remove 5.0 from the catalog, or
mark it incompatible. I think that in dublin, we'll ship 5.0, and in
kiel we will ship only 5.5.

Question: Do we want to remove the CSWmysql5 package family and create
CSWmysql55 package family? Or is it better to put 5.5 into packages
named CSWmysql5*?