[csw-maintainers] C++ libraries built with GCC

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 26 18:52:10 CET 2012

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Sun Feb 26 09:18:12 -0500 2012:

Hi Maciej,

> If we build any C++ libraries, we need to consider which compiler we
> build them with. For example, if we want to build something that
> depends on Boost, and we want (or need) to build it with GCC, we
> have to build Boost with GCC as well. But Studio and GCC produce
> incompatible libraries because of different name mangling schemes.
>
> Therefore, I suggest that we designate a separate directory for GCC
> C++ libraries. To keep things simple, --prefix=/opt/csw/gcc, and
> --libdir=/opt/csw/gcc/lib.  Package names would be CSWlibfoo0-gcc
> and libfoo0_gcc.

The idea is good and we should definitely accommodate this nicely.  I
don't like /opt/csw/gcc, but I haven't got a better name that doesn't
also suffer from:

1. Top level directory proliferation.
2. Confusion with /opt/csw/gcc[34].

If nobody has a better path name, I'd be inclined to go with
/opt/csw/gcc as suggested.

> An alternative would be to patch sonames.

Patching the sonames feels much more invasive and would be harder
(more work per package) to accommodate.

Thanks