[csw-maintainers] Fooling around with dependencies

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 24 21:24:39 CET 2012

Hi John,

Am 24.01.2012 um 16:10 schrieb John Ellson:
> On 01/24/2012 09:48 AM, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> I have been playing around with dependencies and hacked up a tiny cgi with
>> Sebastians deptree to dot converter. You can invoke it with
>>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=<pkg>
>>
>> Here are some examples:
>>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=vim
>>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=xmlstarlet
>>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=libneon27
>>   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=openldap
>>
>> I would like to integrate this somewhere on the package information page.
>
> Ouch!
>
> 	http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/cgi-bin/depgraph?pkg=graphviz

Some stripping possible in the hay :-)

> You might want to produce -Tsvgz images instead of bitmaps, to reduce image size.

I used svg for now as I need more fiddling with the compression encoding.

> You could also consider running through "tred" to eliminate (or perhaps to highlight) the redundant transitive dependencies.

For now I would like to leave the edges in as they are the real depencies in the package.
I see it as diagnostic tool for maintainers, later on for endusers this may be a good thing,
though.

PS: Want to give graphviz64 a try? We should have now all of the dependencies.