[csw-maintainers] Where does "category" come from?

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 26 20:03:07 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Am 26.01.2012 um 18:35 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
>> 2012/1/26 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
>>> I noticed the catalog contains "category" as the last field like this:
>>>
>>> xtideh 07.12.28,REV=2008.02.05 CSWxtideh xtideh-07.12.28,REV=2008.02.05-SunOS5.8-all-CSW.pkg.gz 0aa9756ab43d8219b8c0c54a21e5a7dc 741164 CSWcommon eng|fun|lib

Note that the above is not a full catalog line, it should have I-deps
(or "none") as 9th field. I fought with Phil for two years to get that
included so don't you forget it! ;)

> I see. It is generated from CSW_CATEGORY from pkginfo within the package:
>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pkgutil/browser/trunk/bldcat#L238
>
> However, I can't remember what is was used for. The discussions were from 2007 and
> April 2008 before OpenCSW and are hence not in the mail archive. Maybe someone
> can shed some light into this, probably Peter as he implemented it :-)

I think this has been in Phil's catalogs for a long time, it sure was
when I first made bldcat even though I think I just put in "none" at
first. I remember from Phil's old maintainer docs that these
categories were documented and I suppose the GAR categories are the
same.

Maybe Phil had some kind of group/bundle idea, that you should be able
to install all "fun" stuff with one command but it never got
implemented. It would be one way of implementing a simple install of
AMP for example even though it's much easier to make a package called
CSWamp just depending on what's needed. Phil didn't like empty
packages though. But Phil's gone now.

/peter