[csw-maintainers] Use of <stdbool.h> is valid only in a c99 compilation environment.

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 16 02:36:42 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Romeo Theriault
<romeotheriault at opencsw.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > I am not too familiar with the c99 details, but if changing the flags is
> > actually the cure to your problem, here's what I'd do. The error message
> > looks like it's emitted by the preprocessor invocation which can be
> > tweaked with EXTRA_CPPFLAGS (EXTRA_CFLAGS is passed to the compiler
> > only). Using that should already give you better results. You can use
> > "mgar modenv" to verify the invocation flags without actually running
> > the build.
> >
> > For how exactly to tweak the flags. Usually there's a good chance that
> > other people have already run into a similar problem and have solved it.
> > Try searching the existing build recipes for "99", maybe that gives you
> > the solution right away.
>
> Thank you Sebastian and Dago both, for your suggestions. I've not had
> a chance to look at this again but you've both given me more to look
> into. I'll follow up on this thread once I've had some more time to
> play with this.

Thought I'd follow up on this. I'm unfortunately still unable to
figure out how to get msgpack-python to compile with SunStudio cc. I
asked this here [1] and got some suggestions that got me a bit further
(I think) but am still unable to fully compile the software.
Basically, I'm able to get past the stdbool.h error by using these
EXTRA_CPPFLAGS += -D_XPG6 -xc99 but now seem to be running into other
errors that to my junior eye seems to be related to some C standard
compatibility.

Errors like so:

"msgpack/unpack_template.h", line 205: "default" outside switch
"msgpack/unpack_template.h", line 207: undefined label: _fixed_trail_again

I've grepped through the Makefiles of the other opencsw packages for
other tips and have tried a bunch with no more luck. If anyone else
has any suggestions I'm all ears.

If I really can't get msgpack-python to compile with cc I think I've
figured out how I can get it to compile with gcc, but one thing I'm
worried about is using a gcc compiled python module with a cc compiled
python (and any other programs that may try to use it and were
compiled with cc). Does anyone know if this is likely to cause any
problems? Or should this be fine? Linking problems?

Again, any insight in this area is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11462527/building-msgpack-python-on-solaris-10-use-of-stdbool-h-is-valid-only-in-a-c9

Romeo