[csw-maintainers] Symbol versioning for openssl ?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Jul 22 20:19:00 CEST 2012

Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> It seems the version check is only done to see if the whole library can be
> loaded (and only if the application/library and the library both use
> versioning), but it is not used after to link the symbols.
>
> From what I understood, symbol versioning in Linux works at the symbol
> level and would effectively help to prevent the kind of problem we have
> here.

I am not sure whether you have different expectations than what symbol
versioning is.

What problem do you have and how do you like to solve it?

Symbol versioning cannot heal incompatible changes.

Symbol versioning however allows to link against an older version of the
library at runtime than the one that was used at compile time - given that the
user does not need the new features of younger library versions.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin